Should we build a fitness app for facebook – decide and scope it out if needed
Strategic decision making
How big is the market : Fitness is an 80 billion dollar industry, lately there’s been the digitization trend of the same via fitness tracker/apps. Google recently acquired Fitibit to it’s wearable portfolio for 2 billion dollar so yes its a big enough for FB to conside
Is it a fit for FB: The current tools for fitness has a very strong community angle – whether its running groups or sports ( which are social by default) or exercise classes or gym which also happens to be biggest problem. I don’t know where to find people I can trust who I can go running with etc. I think FB excels at the social angle and also can effectively solve this problem
What’s the competition like : Hardware: Apple watch, other fitness bands , software: Fitbit premium, nike training club, Apple watch app
Can we differentiate/do we have a potential moat: The social graph of facebook can help create a network effect moat around fitness based communities
How do we measure success: The user facing goal will qualtitative, I would put it around how users feels – do they feel fitter after using the product for 30 days.
Business wise this should drive retention and engagement, I’d make retention the primary metric because it also aligns with a metric that is key to success when it comes to getting fit – persistentence of effort – does the user keep coming back again and again
Other metrics to track
AAERC funnel for the feature ( acquisition, activation, engagement, retention, churn)
Exercise/workouts per user /month
Timespent/retention on FB
Time spent/session in feature
When you say fitness I’m assuming it’s both fitness tracking and helping you get fit in the process
We are referring to physical fitness here
Will it sit inside Facebook app or outside, I’m assumign inside since it’s a new app and we’re not sure if needs another app. This allows us to bootstrap and test the water before we spend good amount of money acquiring customer and learning.
App or webb? I’d recommend starting with app only if it’s a contraint since at some point it may need to interact/pull data from fitness trackers, that’s much more organic to the app eco system rather than the web eco system
Whats the goal here: launch and find PM fit (monetisation is a non goal)
Is GTM part of the scope? not necessarily
Facebook’s mission is to connect the people of the world and is effectively an online version of your offline social graph
Let’s see the typical user journey for a fitness driven goal in the physical world –
Realisation: User realises that they need to work on fitness in general or towards a specific goal,
Measurement: user starts tracking fitness in a number of ways – weight, selfies , strength results etc.
Tools: The tools they have are running, going to the gym or classes – they look for community there and I recall reading studies where the community angle helps sustain the habit and help achieve your goals.
Perhaps because the community involement makes the process more enjoyable and less of a chore + you get motivation from them.
other behaviour: They may post updates to social
Does it make sense to build the fitness app?
Yes, if you look at trends – peleton, strava etc there is scope for an online community that assists the user journey and also make you feel like you’re part of something bigger virtually.
The self worth is moving online – there are virtual rewards that are Proof of the works of your skills, in IG it’s your follower count , in Fitbit its your daily stats etc and so on.
– I struggle with finding trustworthy people to do what I want in the physical world
– Tracking/measuring progress is hard
– I find motivation from group to be incredibly powerful but in todays buy lives it’s hard to plan something out in terms of a group activity
– I don’t feel motivated enough to continue working out etc/ I got lazy
– I want to get recognition for my effort
user persona from a fitness perspective
– Already fit users : These want to keep the momentum going, they frequently work out, own dedicated work out attires and equipment, they might be using supplements to enhance their progress further . They might frequently post on social – them working out, what weights they are doing and about the techniques ( workout and post work out)
– already on their fitness journey users: These have started working out already. They might be looking for advice/tips on faster progress, they will be struggle with motivation after their progress rate starts pleateauing, they may or may not post on social.
They may fear judgement and not having perfect physique
– Interested but yet to start the journey: These users are aware that they need to start their fitness journey but they don’t know about the choices/where to start/community that can help/tips advice etc
-Unaware: these users haven’t realised that they need to start getting fitter
I want to focus on solving for 2nd and 3rd persona because the need is strongest here.
- I want to be aware of my fitness level
- I want to be able to set goals that are reasonable and give me a sense of progress
- I want to be able to measure progress
- I want to be able to measure progress easily ( read my fitness tracker etc)
- I want to make it visible to the world I choose to ( goals, progress etc)
- I want advice/tips on techniques related to the activity
- I want to be able to see choices WRT getting fitter
- I want to be able to connect with the activity fitness community online
- I want to feel motivated
- I want recognition
The above list is long owing to the large scope of the question since it covers E2E user journey and all it’s associated needs
Solutions/pick or drop
Acquisition/top of funnel
A fitness test that tells you the degree of fitness as per your age and gender. Users can skip this if they choose to – High reach, high impact, high confidence, Low complexity . PICK for MVP
being able to recommend options inline with user’s fitness, location and budget – Core problem, helps users jump start his journey by skipping research, high reach, high impact, high confidence, medium complexity PICK for MVP
Connecting users with other similar users to build community, basis activity and also fitness – core problem and Facebook is good at this and is a potential moat, medium reach, high impact, medium confidence, medium complexity PICK
Being able to track and measure progress using manual inputs from the user – High reach, high impact, high confidence, low complexity pick
Allowing user to post content to their feed and making it searchable– this will effectively solve for tips/advice and will be used most by ‘fit’ personsa users but the output will be consumed by target persona users, high reach, high impact, high confidence, high complexity PICK
Allowing user to be followed by other users – this works in sync with allowing users to post content to their feeds so PICK
Integration with fitness tracker – This will help jump start user journeys and reduces friction to access to the users’ stats , low reach(since not everyone owns fitness trackers), high impact, medium complexity, high confidence, PICK for MVP after researching the TG persona to check for smart tracker penetration
User dashboard that helps track progress over time : This will be applicable after user has spent a significant time so we can classify this as a low reach low impact item for MVP, DO NOT PICK
Badges for different progress milestones : This will be a great retention tool and in absence of a community will help drive retention and also create a sense of progress high reach , high impact, high confidence , low effort PICK
Other features scoped for post MVP
Gamification of fitness progress with friends
Workout programs that users can sign up for
Virtual workouts with community
Insights into physical fitness using tracker information