You are the PM for an e-commerce site. You see that sales have dropped 7% in the last few days? What could be wrong?
Lets first know a little bit more about the e-commerce website and the event under discussion.
- How many geographies is it in? Assuming it is only in the US.
- Who are the customers? Assuming no business customers and all in the US only.
- Do we know what the website sells? Let’s assume shoes and related items such as Allbirds.
- Assuming the drop happened all of a sudden.
- Internal factors
- User journey – Customers log in, browse through the homepage recommendations or Search for the products of interest, then go to the product page before checking out (which also involves payments)
- A ton of factors can go wrong
- Log in issues
- recommenders not working properly – not showing the right recommendations on homepage
- Search not working properly leading to customers abandoning the shopping mission
- Checkout 404s
- Product OOS
- External factors 3. Not getting enough traffic on the website 1. Google search optimization issues 2. Ad budgets depleted 4. Ads not reaching the right audience, therefore conversion is low