How would you acquire more users for Uber?
- Any specific geography? Assume global
- Is this specifically related to pandemic worries? No
- And are we talking about the riders? Or the drivers? Riders given Riders drive demand
- As the problem states – more Users
- Is revenue increase also a goal? Or can the increase in users come in at slightly less revenue per user? – Assume – Possibly yes
Ultimate goal of Uber is to help consumers move from point A to point B by creating a marketplace by connecting drivers to riders
Current Users: Let me segment the users as below:
- Business travelers – who go on regular business trips
- Daily regular commuters – who go from point A to point B regularly – say for example office to work
- Casual travellers – others taking trips
Let me pick one or two User segment and try and see if we can solve some of their pain points that could help bring in more such consumers
- Let me pick the Business and regular commuters as I feel there are some synergies among the two user segments. They are both commuting the same routes regularly
Some proposed ideas:
- Fixed pricing – going from point A to point B regularly – for example the business user goes from Home to airport and back. Regular users from A to B. Can we offer them fixed pricing? This will A. Create stickiness B. Get more user if the pricing is favourable. One caveat here, for Business Travelers, for most parts, pricing is not an issue given it is covered by the respective companies
- Priority access – These users get priority when ordering cabs
- Wifi for such users in the cab – These users tend to be on the road a lot (especially Business Users), enabling wifi in the cabs so they can catch up on work could help create more stickiness. Especially helpful in emerging ecomomies where cellular plans might not be mature
Implementation – Would like to do an ROI analysis of the ideas agains the goals
IdeaImpact on the GoalImplementation effortNotes
|This is not a trivial change and changes the business model and will have an impact on Revenue.
|People dont like waiting and this could really help with repeat users and even new users
|This is dependent on cars being Wifi enabled and also supporting drivers to make it available and will have broader cost implications
I would like to pick #1 and #2 given they are likely to have a big impact on the User growth.
Metrics: I would like to test it as follows
Would like to test it out for a subset of users first. Pick a highly frequented route for example say an airport to a couple of neighbourhoods.
Offer fixed pricing and Priority access to a subset of users
1. #DAU that are utilizing the new services against overall users
2. New users utilizing the new services
Measure the above over a month to get a better sense of User growth.